Sunderland residents can learn more about an attractive new residential neighbourhood that will stand on the former Vaux site at an event taking place tomorrow (Thursday, November 26).
Details of the ultra-sustainable housing community on Riverside Sunderland will be shared with the public at a free virtual event being organised by Sunderland City Council.
Attendees will hear about the next stages in the development of Riverside Sunderland that will create a vibrant residential hub that will stand alongside a fast-growing community of businesses, that will occupy The Beam, City Hall and two further offices that are set to be built over the coming years.
The plan is to build 132 new homes on the site initially – more details of which are expected to be revealed before the end of the year – as well as public realm and green spaces that can be enjoyed by residents and visitors alike.
More information on the process of developing these homes will be discussed on Thursday, November 26 at 11am and 6pm and attendees will need to register in order to be part of the meeting.
Councillor Graeme Miller, leader of Sunderland City Council, said: “We are thrilled to be sharing more information with residents about plans to build a vibrant new community at Riverside Sunderland.
“There can be no mistaking our intent to transform this part of the city.
“We are absolutely steadfastly focused on ensuring this significant site becomes an exciting new place to live, work and play, maximising the potential of our riverside, which has been an unpolished gem for too long.”
“We are a listening council, and this event provides an opportunity for residents to speak to us about their views on the transformation plans we have outlined, feeding back their thoughts and ideas to help us shape a place that everyone can enjoy.”
The event follows a series of public events last week to showcase the initial projects being delivered as part of the new Riverside Sunderland Masterplan and give residents the chance to ask questions and make suggestions.
The masterplan set out a vision to deliver:
- 1,000 sustainable homes to rent and buy, in four stunning riverside neighbourhoods, housing 2,500 residents
- One million sq ft of modern office space, in a new central business district, providing 8-10,000 new jobs
- a new city centre site for a major life sciences / healthcare facility
- Plans for a state-of-the-art library and community hub – the Culture House – that will attract 600,000 visitors a year to a new site in Keel Square
- The upgrading of St Mary’s Boulevard into a stylish new main street, and the construction of new connectivity for walkers and cyclists across the River Wear
- Transformation of Galley’s Gill into a superb landscape park, and new green spaces in the heart of the city
- Smart City infrastructure, that will make Sunderland an even better place to live, work and play.
In 2023, Riverside Sunderland will host the month-long Sunderland Future Living Expo, a high-profile event which will showcase life in the new urban quarter.
UK and international visitors will be drawn to the first of the new neighbourhoods on the former Vaux site.
To find out more about the forthcoming planning application for 132 new homes, public realm and green spaces on Vaux, book to attend either the morning or the evening session, here.
You can also share details of the session more widely by sending to friends, family and colleagues using this mobile-friendly app https://app.handheldcommunity.com/c/p6z